FO spokesperson Dr. Mohammad Faisal said on Thursday the condition of passports for Indian Sikhs was waived for one year in the wake of the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak.
The pilgrims will no longer have to carry their passports or convey their information to the government and register 10 days in advance.
The FO further said that the US $20 service charge per pilgrim on November 9 and 12 will also be waived, adding that this information has been formally conveyed to the Indian government.
However, DG ISPR Major General Asif Ghafoor on Wednesday had said pilgrims would require a ‘permit-based entry’ to the Kartarpur Corridor and no compromise would be made on the security of the region.
Earlier this month, PM Imran Khan had said members of the Sikh community coming to Kartapur Corridor from India will not need a passport. They will be able to travel with a valid identity card.
He made the announcement on Twitter.
In another tweet, he congratulated his own government for completing the construction work on time.
The FO spokesperson further said that the Kartarpur Corridor was solely Pakistan’s initiative.
Not to rub it in, but this was solely Pakistan’s initiative. This was PM Imran Khan’s initiative which India then agreed to.
Referring to a terrorism report issued by the US State Department, the spokesperson reiterated that Islamabad is disappointed that the sacrifices and contributions made over the last two decades were overlooked.
It completely overlooks factual information and contribution made by Pakistan over the last two decades. We hope Pakistan’s contributions and sacrifices will be fully recognized, he said.
The Islamabad district administration of Pakistan on Saturday sealed a private clinic bein…